Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSPP to NPT plastic fittings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIMMAAYY

Industrial
Jan 8, 2009
US
Looking for a way to go from a 2" female BSPP ( G ) thread to a male 1" NPT thread. Ideally, it would be a combo reducing/thread type.

The ideal fitting would be 2" Male BSP to 1" Male NPT.

Any suggestions on where to find this? I've tried all of the usual sources ( Grainger, Cole Parmer, etc ). No luck.

Ideally it would be plastic, but if they are just plain steel, that might work too.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A block of nylon, a lathe, a 2"female BSPP tap, a 1" male NTP tap. and the appropriate size drills. You can look them up in a chart yourself.

If you want to do it in a pedestal drill, use a female 1" NTP tap and a 1" NTP nipple.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Thanks, Pat. That's what I figured it would come to. I have a small machine shop helping me out. They do this kind of work in the specialty valve market.

I can find a 2" BSP male, but not one in plastic, and they start around 65 bucks each.

I think what will work best is a 2.5" piece of plastic rod, threaded down on both sides and leaving a 1/4" ORB for the BSP seal. The through hole needs to be 3/4" diameter.

Thanks again.

My bad on "plastic" ... haha! The rest of it is polypropylene. It doesn't matter to much as long as it's able to withstand urenthane chemicals ( polyol and isocyanate ). Nylon, Delryn, whatever is cheapest and has no issues with those two families of chemicals.

I would think all would be OK with urethane systems.

Acetal (Delrin) is best at holding threads unless the temperatures go over 70 or 80 deg C when nylon will take over. Neither like exposure to acids

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

No one has what I need in any type of plastic. I'm having them made by a local shop, a 2" male BSPP thread on one side with a o-ring groove and boss, and 1" male NPT on the other side with a 3/4" hole through the entire piece.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back