Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bucket-type Strainer vs Y-type Strainer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

123engr

Chemical
Dec 10, 2012
Between bucket-type strainer and Y-type strainer, which is the best to be recommended to be installed at pump suction?

I am what I am by His grace

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

You've been around long enough on this site to know you shouldn't double post.

Any way, in response to your question it depends how dirty your fluid is and how oftern you expect to clean them out.. IMHO, Y filters are good for "bolt catcher" application and commissioning, but not for long term use as they need to be drained of product, if a liquid, and all the crud falls on the floor when you undo it. Anything is better than an inline top hat filter....

Bucket or basket strainers are normally a QO top and you can retrieve and replace a basket filter very easily.

If you size them right, the the pressure differecne should be similar.

Be careful about the pressure drop when dirty on any inlet side filter as it can easily climb and affect your pump NPSHA figure. For this reason, I would prefer a basket strainer as it has a bigger surface area and won't clog as fast, but as said at the start - depends on your fluid and what the filter level is.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back