Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Building a Rail Bogie.Help with Rail wheel mounting and fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

igor19

Mechanical
Sep 3, 2011
RO
Hello.
Writing my first post here in hope that someone can help me with a solution.I am designing a rail bogie for a truck wich will allow the movement of the truck on the railway.The problem wich I am facing is the wheel mounting on the axle.The axle must support 3 elements:the bearings,the disc brake and the rail wheels.I had found a solution for the bearings and the disk brake mounting on the axle ,but can't find a solution for the wheel mounting.From what I had found ,in the rail way application the wheels a press fitted on the axle.There is no way this job can be done here at my workshop.The only solution will be the mounting on the axle with a parallel key,and the axial displacement on the axle of the wheel will be blocked by a shoulder of the axle on one side and by a nut wich will be tightened on the other side.The problem is that i am afraid by such solution because of some mechanical phenomenas as fatigue or fretting.Is there someone who can help me with a more secure solution (I tooked into consideration also mounting on a cone).
Thank You.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ringfeder or B-Loc type locking devices. Watch your tolerances.

Weld a flange onto the axles and bolt, or screw, the wheels. Makes it hard to mount the disk brake and bearings, but still possible.

Shrink fit, as stated above by Chicopee.

Be very careful with the stress concentrations. At the speed it spins it will not take long to see 10^8 stress reversals. This is why the normal process is press fit or shrink fit, the rail industry has had numerous problems with this over the years.

ISZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back