Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Building Code Load Generation Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaidavid40

Structural
Jun 18, 2007
US
Have any of you folks used any of the code search, building code load-generation software in your offices, and what is your opinion of the programs you have used? I am looking specifically at the Struware "Code Search" suite of tools, and am wondering if there were any independent opinions and assessments of its utility (no salesmen, please!).
Thanks, Dave

Thaidavid

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use it and love it. It's not the prettiest but:

1) Quickly generate all loads for all states using any version of IBC/ASCE.
2) You've got the first ten or so pages of your calculation package right there.
3) It makes for an easy way to standardize these computations within an office.
4) As minor as it sounds, I get a lot of utility out of the dead load calculators.

I think that it's very good value for the money. You'll probably want to evaluate cost on the basis of a site license though. The single user file is non-sharable exe rather than an excel file. I'll let you research their warnings about that but, for most folks, it's hard to imagine that being the way to go.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

I agree with Koot. My old, larger firm had their own in house spreadsheets but my new, much smaller firm uses Code Search and I like it. It functions well, fucntions accurately, and is accepted for calculation submittals. I also get a lot of use out of the dead load calculators.

Struware Code search looks great for smaller firms/sole proprietors. In a large company it might make more sense to have in house mathcad sheets. Anything beats excel sheets imo, for reliability and for submittals.

Thanks, everybody, for your candid opinions. Ours is a very small company - only eight people directly involved in engineering and design. So the single-seat license could probably work out okay for us. Based on you reports, I'll give it a more thorough look.
Thanks again,
Dave

Thaidavid

The single seat license will be an EXE file accessible on exactly one physical computer.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back