Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building Collapse in Nigeria...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
Emulating Florida...

"People are feared to be trapped in the ruins of a 22-story building that collapsed in an upmarket area of Nigeria's economic hub, Lagos, on Monday.

The building, located on Gerald Road in the city's affluent Ikoyi neighborhood, is a construction site for luxury apartments. It is unclear how many people were inside when it fell.
"I thought it was an earthquake when I rushed out of my apartment just after 3 p.m. I felt the building move and knew something was wrong," Olu Apata, a nearby resident and the president of the Nigerian Bar Association, told CNN.
Apata said the building has been under construction for the past two years and that the developer was at the site meeting with prospective buyers earlier on Monday."

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"An expert told CNN at the time that more than 1,000 buildings were at risk of collapsing in Lagos."

6 dead and still 40-100 missing as of this morning.

Precision guess work based on information provided by those of questionable knowledge

Permitted for 15 floors. 21 built. Owner arrested. Building inspection official complained about shoddy construction and materials after the collapse. He was promptly fired.

It's clearly a pancake failure, but almost all building collapses end up like that because as soon as one joint fails, the stress redistribution causes that to cascade across a floor, and then the impact of a floor collapsing takes out some of those beneath or above as well.

Hard to say more without some video (or a detailed description I suppose) of the collapse initiation. I didn't search hard but I didn't find anything - though I would think there must be some with so many people around and those other towers next to it.

There aren't any columns visible in the aftermath pics at all, as if they've been completely crushed between the pancaking floors, so a first guess would be substandard concrete just failing under the load initially. Particularly if it was built higher than its initial design with no changes to support structure. But it's little more than a guess at this point.

Interesting that the initial contractor pulled out when this tower was only 3 storeys high - presumably there was a disagreement on how strictly to follow building regulations or something.

Saw a brief segment where a worker talked about moving out from under the building (urging other to follow) shortly before the collapse, because of visible cracks (presumably in the columns, but that wasnt said).

This picture shows that this looks like the third building in the same plot.

the other two are ~15 stories so to get to 21 maybe they just built a few more without changing anything...

Materials and workmanship seem to be questionable.

Thos columns visible on the top floors before they clad them look rather weedy to me...

Screenshot_2021-11-03_103156_k0ewun.jpg

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I looked to the video ..

If the bldg is with 20 + storeys ,the concrete strength should be in the range of C30 (30 MPa ) or more....

My gut feeling says, the main reason is the poor quality concrete , poor engineering and details , poor workmanship..and apparently the concrete strength less than 10 MPa...

When the investor gets deeply involved in the design decisions, if the structure is designed by a cantstruct structural engineer and constructed by a cantconstruct contractor, this is the possible outcome..

My prayers for the innocent victims[cry]..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back