Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

building failure in UK 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks a very ropy design.

Thin flat cantilever slab with brick sides. Some level of static load there.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Depends if it was designed to hold that weight of bricks or if they changed it at some point.

I reckon there was 1.5 tonnes of bricks on that weedy 100mm concrete slab with not much rebar by the look of it

The balconies were cantilevered. I surely don't see why, since the tie-back could have been inside the brick walls of the balcony.

The balconies in my dorm in college were cantilevered (concrete building). When a whole mob of my fellow dorm mates went out there, I felt it wise not to join them.

spsalso

...with not much rebar by the look of it

I don't see any bars extending out of the building, nor out of the slabs that fell.
It could be that there was a construction joint right at the exterior building line that
rusted away the bars all along that discreet line, but ALL of them at the same rate/time such that none are sticking out?

I wonder what is holding the other three in place?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Perhaps structural mortar?

Note that this building is about 500' from the very ocean whose salty air was suggested to have been a cause of the failure of Champlain Towers South.

spsalso

I can see three weedy little bars projecting from the building at the right edge, and some black dots in the slab edge, about mid-depth. Little in the way of design and construction supervision, I suspect.

Or insufficient overlap of bars?

It's the weight of all thoss bricks that gets me. Plus it's very likely to ba a construction joint there as well.

It's an easy design problem... if done properly.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

The weight of the bricks obviously contributed, however heavy brick balustrades on cantilever balconies are very common. The issue here is the defective slab, in particular what appears to be defective reinforcement detailing, which failed in a brittle manner, not the fact it's carrying some bricks.

Capture2_cscxwq.jpg
balcony_gztbaa.jpg

Some rust staining in a few of these photos. This looks like a combination of one or all of the following: corrosion due to poor waterproofing; anchorage failure of the cantilever bars possibly due to corrosion or poor detailing; overall insufficient reinforcement.

2_p6o2o2.png

3_mgnyuv.png

The upper slab in Tomfh's photo looks like it has no remaining reinforcement sticking out whatsoever, as though what few balcony bars were there in the first place have just pulled straight out.

The lower slab looks like it has split in half. Is this an anchorage failure of the cantilever bars? Or possibly a secondary effect of the balcony yanking downward on the protruding bars as it fell?

Capture_iptc4b.png

bugbus said:
The lower slab looks like it has split in half. Is this an anchorage failure of the cantilever bars? Or possibly a secondary effect of the balcony yanking downward on the protruding bars as it fell?

That's my reading of it. Those bars started peeling off the bottom of the slab, prior to breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back