buildup of clad material 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirhosseini

Industrial
Dec 4, 2003
IR
I have a question about Buildup.
I have a WPS for buildup a clad material(In this WPS first the base metal grind down to clad material and then the filler metal is deposited.) and I want to support my WPS with a PQR.

Please tell me about the test coupon that we shall prepare for this PQR.
which tests shall be done on this test coupon?

Regards
H.Mirhosseini

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think there is a mixup in the terminology. The SS(Higher Alloy) portion is termed as the clad material and the CS or the Low alloy is called the Base Material. If it is unorthodox clad between two different exotic material, then the material in contact (generally) with the process fluid is considered as Clad,which essentially provides Corrosion or Errosion/Wear resistance purpose. You may have dual clad, that is on either side Higher Alloy and Lower alloy in between.

For the Purpose of Clad restoration (That is Higher alloy weld on a clad clad plate) you need to have Overlay procedure done on a (CS or LAS) the Base plate, provided in the job clad is not taken for strength considerations.

Side Bend and Chemical Analysis (Check your Undiluted chemistry requirement) are the general tests specified by Sec IX. You may also have to support some Corrosion test if your client wants it.

tanks a lot!
I explain my problem in better way.
Base metal is API 5L, cladding with inconel and used filler is NiCrMo3.
We want to put a SOCKOLET (inconel) on clad pipes.
For this purpose we have to buildup on base metal(API 5L) and then the SOCKOLET is jointed to builduped zone on API5L.
In this situation:
Do I have overlay procedure on CS and then send the test coupon for side bend and chemical analysis?

Regards
H.Mirhosseini

You may directly weld the sockolet to the pipe with Inconel filler, in which case you need not have overlay procedure. All you need is a procedure between Inconel plate or product with CS using Inconel filler.

If the connection is set on type then you have a problem. What would happen to the CS Edge (Assuming that the Inconel Component has Groove and Just a hole is cut on CS Pipe), you may have to cover this area with inconel weld (Which has undiluted chemistry of Inconel) this acts as Overlay, then in this case you have to support your WPS with over lay procedure coupon test (Not production coupon).

If you are going to do build up on CS (Buttering As in UW 42) you need not have overlay procedure.

If however you are doing clad metal restoration (Overlay) on the inside for the purpose of Corrosion protection then you have to have PQT Coupon tested for Side bend and undiluted chemistry check.

Some smart joint configuration may give you an escape route from Overlay procedure, in which case you may have to have Inconel to Inconel Procedure and Inconel to CS procedure. Check your drawing and with your designer.

If you are going to give build up in the CS weld edge and subsequently prepare the edge and put the sockolet and perform groove weld, then also Overlay PQT MAY not be required

But if you choose to perform PWHT after deposition of Inconel in the Carbon steel edge and subsequently weld the branch (Inconel) to Inconel weld then the situation becomes murkier. Then in such case One to one qualification would be necessary.

Now for some guess work, are you with some site piping contractor, if yuo are a manufacturer you have to have Overlay procedure since you are dealing with overlayed pipes. In any case Good Luck.

Too much of detail always leads to confusion. I have done my bit!

Good Luck

Dear bmoorthy!
I'm a young inspector working in a offshore project.
Some of my questions are not a practical problem in my work.
learning is main reason for my questions.
However thanks a lot for your proper and influence answers.

Regards
H.Mirhosseini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back