Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bulge Forming tube using a elastomeric

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranas1

Mechanical
May 31, 2011
MX
Hi, Im trying to find information about Bulge Forming Tube With Axial Compressive Force, im considering to use a elastomer to expand the walls.

Can anybody tell me a book or link where i can to find information , i would like to calculate the force requiered to deform the tube.

Thnak you for your help

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems like a process similar to hydroforming. If so, what is the attraction of applying the internal force required to expand the tube by displacement of an elastomeric plug versus using the conventional hydroforming approach where hydraulic pressure is applied? Seems like it would be much easier to get a consistent result using conventional hydroforming than by using the pressure produced by compressing an elastomeric plug.

tbuelna,

I once asked that question of a firm that does hydroforming, and they explained that using an elastomeric filler allows the filler material to apply shear (traction) forces to the sheet being deformed, which can give some improvement in things like depth of draw. The drawback is that the elastomer plug is typically only good for one shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back