Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bulk Density fo Dewatered Sewage Sludge 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

erisew

Civil/Environmental
Feb 6, 2003
MY
I'm doing some calculations for a Sewerage Treatment Plant, and don't seem to be able to find any data on this. Does anybody know where I can get the Bulk Density of Dewatered Sewage Sludge, with about 20%-30% Solids Content?

Any Assistance is greatly appreciated.

Lester Seow
Assistant Site Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your bulk density can vary greatly depending on how much grit is in the sludge. If it is WAS, then the grit will usually be low and if mainly primary, can have alot of grit. The number LeoSC gave you is a good number to use. Keep in mind also that the density of dry sludge (without grit) is about the same as water so your bulk density probably will not vary all that much between 20% and 30%. The only way to know for sure is to do some bench testing.

Mike Bensema

A while back had the same question. Made a 1 cubic foot box and packed it with dewatered sludge (22-24%) solids. Weighed out at 45-50 #/cf.

Thanks to all of the responses that have been given to my query. I was orignally looking for this information last year to help with checking our Contractor's claim for desludging work. But the responses given more recently are still great for reference. Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Lester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back