Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bulkhead vs Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcllyf

Jul 1, 2013
Hi guys,
What is the basic difference between a bulkhead and a frame in aerospace applications? Is it really different or is the same thing called in different ways. Personally I was of the opinion that a frame used in fuselages will be called Bulhead whereas the ones used in other places are frames. Also I confused about the difference between a "bracket" and an "angle".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

this has been asked before. i don't think there's a universally correct answer. to me a frame is open, like a ring, supporting the fuselage; and a bulkhead is a solid, like a partition or a disc, also supports the fuselage, may be pressure carrying or not.

as for brkt and angle, well i'd reserve angle for true L angles like built from extrusion but they terms are quite interchangable; i don't there are many out there that would critise the use of one term instead of the other.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

xcllyf...

a couple of years ago...
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BULKHEAD AND FRAMES...?

Regards, Wil Taylor

Trust - But Verify!

We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.

For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.

Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant – "Orion"

Oh thanks guys for your response. I was of the opinion that they both will be different and used for different applications, because i was faced with this question from others also. wktaylor - the link u gave contains the boeing definition of frame and bulkhead, but that doesnt give much clarity. But nyways i thought - bulkhead is a frame plus it maintains the pressure in the fuselage needed for passengers( like the front pressure bulkhead and the rear one)...

... sort of like my definition, no?

but then, like i said, there probably isn't a universal definition ...

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back