Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bulkscan Sick LMS511 and BAM100 not giving 4-20 mA output when measuring flow of coal on belt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA07

Electrical
Feb 22, 2018
MU
Hi
We are installing a new bulkscan Sick LMS511 and BAM100. The bulkscan is correctly reading the flow of coal. However we are not getting the 4-20 mA transmitted to our PLC. Has anyone encountered this issue. Supplier says BAM100 is already factory set. The BAM100 is the analogue signal module
Please see attached doc for BAM100

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5e5c0a2a-f603-4385-99a7-d0f192e5e1ba&file=Sick_dataSheet_BAM100-HE44K_2073296_en.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nice picture.
How about a picture "As Installed" and a link to the instruction manual?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

From the manual:

Analog module BAM100
The Bulkscan® LMS511 and Bulkscan® LMS111 can read in and output analog current values in the range 4 to 20 mA via the analog module BAM100.
Analog input signals are converted to digital format and transmitted to the Bulkscan®.
The analog module BAM100 can also convert measured values from the Bulkscan® into analog output signals and output them.
Four analog inputs are available, which can read in the following input variables:
• Analog input 1: Belt speed
• Analog input 2: Bulk density
• Analog input 3: Mass flow rate
• Analog input 4: External input (Bulkscan® LMS511 only)

The analog module has four analog outputs, which can be assigned the following output variables:
• Volume flow
• Mass flow rate
• Focus
• Bulk height
• Bulk density
• Belt speed
• Left conveyor belt edge (Bulkscan® LMS511 only)
• Right conveyor belt edge (Bulkscan® LMS511 only)
• Left bulk edge (Bulkscan® LMS511 only)
• Right bulk edge (Bulkscan® LMS511 only)

The analog module must be ordered in addition to the basic device.

How to configure the analog inputs:
b Switch to the Measurement tab.
b Configure the required input source as Analog value.
b Configure the 4 mA point and the 20 mA point according to the represented input variable.

How to configure the analog outputs:
b Switch to the Interfaces tab.
b Click on BAM100 to open the BAM100 tab.
b Select the assignment under Analog outputs.
b Configure the 4 mA point and the 20 mA point according to the represented output variable.

How to establish a connection to the BAM100 analog module:
b Make sure that you have configured and saved all of the application-specific settings.
b Click Connect BAM100.
b Close SOPAS ET and connect the Bulkscan® sensor to the BAM100 analog module with the Ethernet connecting cable, see accessories (see “12.2 Accessories“ on page 97). An RJ45 female connector is provided on the BAM100 module for this purpose (see electrical installation).

The Bulkscan® and the BAM100 use a point-to-point connection. It is not allowed to connect the BAM100 through a network

Nice work Dave. lps
The last time that I worked on a similar module, I didn't.
The scanning equipment was in place.
The data logging equipment was in place.
The interface module may not have been ordered as it was not in place.
A crew was tasked to pull the cables from the belt monitoring equipment to the interface module and from the module to the data logging equipment.
Not only did the module not exist on site, management could not even provide a mounting location for if and when the module finally arrived.
That project was probably the worst managed project that I can remember. (Maybe not the worst. One company managed to lose money working on cost plus.)
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Hi 3DDAVE

Can you please explain how to connect the cable 4 core coming from the bulkscan to the BAM100
and our 2 core cable 4-20 mA going to our PLC? Thanks if you can make a sketch on a piece of paper and send me. Or draw on attached doc for the BAM100. Sorry for inconvenience

We need to transmit measurement of ton/hr to our PLC.

Please see atached connection done by our team. First mistake I can see is that the cable 4-20 mA should be on the part label KL4424 Analog output . Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ea7d14e6-7db2-44b6-93d6-06cd732150f7&file=BAM_100_how_to_do_cabling.docx
I included a link to the manufacturers information. As much as I would like to be an unpaid consultant, perhaps it is time for you to find an installation technician. I do much better on-site and I am not there to figure out what may have been done, what may have been broken, or to point to the exact wires and connections that need to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back