Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buna-N or Butyl with DME/Propane 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Mechanical
May 19, 2008
US
I have a customer that uses a Butyl rubber gasket in an application with a 80/20 mix of DME and Propane. The gasket does not provide a sufficient seal as there is evidence of major leakage. I think that a Buna-N gasket would work better.
I am trying to find some reference materials that support, or even disprove my idea. I have found documentation that suggest that the propane and butyl are not a good match but can't find much of anything on DME's compatability with various rubbers.[ponder]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

According to my information your client has a choice to make. Viton and NBR are ranked as satisfactory for use with both propane and dimethyl ether. Sorry, I cannot help you with actual grade selection of these broad polymer families.

I did some testing, looks like the NBR is the way to go, the Viton material actually swells quite a bit while in contact with the mix. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back