Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bureau Veritas Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhuvalve

Mechanical
Dec 5, 2007
NL
Hi guys,
My project will be certified by Bureau Veritas, therefore all related piping material will be tested based on NR 445 and NR 216. However most of manufacturer refer to International Standards for their products and will certify their product based on EN 10204 Type 3.1 as a minimum, except bolts, gasket which are refered to Type 2.2, actuator of ESD valve to Type 3.2.
Does anyone have any experience using the above Manufacturer certificate as a based for producing BV certificates? Please advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Typically you have to use materials supplied by a BV approved supplier. Or if not, a local BV inspector goes to the supplier and approves the 3.1 certificate and it then becomes BV approved. I've also experienced that the local BV surveyor will have the 3.1 certificates presented locally and then have gone through them. I had some SDV valves and then I had the valve supplier contact the local BV inspector and he went there to witness the testing of the valves (leakage etc) and then he also checked the 3.1 certificates and stamped & signed these. Then it was no problem. We also used as much BV type approved equipment as possible. It always make the process so much easier.

Class is king. Don't doubt it.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=94d00b56-0bd3-4f13-b6fe-3f35ab4ff11a&file=BV_review_cert.pdf
Surface cracks in piping - is it allowed ?
We have ordered pipe after API 5L Gr.B. The pipe we have received from an east european manufacturer has surface cracks which we have detected with the use of MPI. The cracks vary in length from a couple of mm up to 50cm, and in depth from 0.1 to 0.4mm.
What is allowed ? None ? Those of a certian length/depth ?
Right now we are not concerned with an eventual case against the manufacturer. We are currently shut down, preparing for the last tie-in's on a large project that is due to be set in service soon. The received pipe is now part of finished fabricated spools which are installed in the plant, but not yet set in service.

If you're into a BV project, you have to check their rule on the subject (NR216). But I don't think that anybody will be too happy with cracks. How far east in europe is your supplier located? -you might also check for any traces of radioactivity as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back