Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buried Pipelines Temperature Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

beercia

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2003
Is there any information (articles, freeware, worksheets, design data, etc) available on how to calculate a hot buried pipeline temperature profile?

Your help is appreciated

Carlos

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been asked to prepare some programs on heat losses from below ground pipelines. In general we are looking at long (say 70km) pipelines, about 24 inch diameter and containing oil with some entrained water. Ambient temp 0°C to 40° C. Oil temp 50 °C - 70 ° C. The pipelines will traverse dificult terrain (up to 1000m change in elevation over 7km) and the big problem is to avoid two phase flow or cope with the consequent instability.
If any of the above applies in your case I may be able to help with some pointers in the right direction.

Use PIPEPHASE by Simulation Sciences. Manual also offers background information.

One of the inputs is the soil temperature which is not always easy to determine but can be estimated from the ambient temperature.

most std. simulation tools e.g. HYSYS or pipeline studio can do these calculations.

Besides its fairly stadard stuff. The most commen methode (for steady state calculations) is to approximate the outside heat transfer coefficient to a "heat resistance" by use of a formula by an Ameraican electrical engineer in the 50. This formula links the heat resistance to pipe OD, burial depth, soil conductivity and ambient temperature.

I dont have my text book here so i cant give you the formula or the name of the guy (at least not until january).

Best regards

Morten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back