Burr removing from a H structural beam manufactured by induction welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguelandrade

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2013
EC
Hello,

I am running a Thermatool HF Solid State Welder for structural beams (100x150mm to 200x460mm) at 12m/min. The output product does accomplish the joint strength code required, but it has a mild burr stuck on the beam web-flange joint.

When a client ask to remove the burr for aesthetic reasons, welders do it with an oxy-fuel equipment.

Does someone knows if the burr can be avoided by parameters regulation of the welding machine?

If it is not,a mechanical system and a control system associated to it has to be developed.

Does someone has experience dealing with this situation on structural sections manufactured using induction welding? Which solutions have you found? I already have some ideas on how to do it, but other's experience dealing with the same situation is a mine of ideas as well.

Thanks,

Miguel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This burr is from upspet material (squeezed out) correct?
Often a tool steel or carbide knife is used to skive off the burr.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Yes, it is squeezed out to the surface because of the heat and pressure applied. This machining tool is placed on the hot area (when burr still red), or when it is already cold. The burr takes around 25cm to cool down from red.

You cannot avoid the burr by altering the welding essential variables because of the force used in HF welding to produce a sound joint. It has to be removed by mechanical methods or leave it alone.

Does any of you know where can I get a tool to do this job? Any manufacturer of this kind of tool? Or who has seen mechanical methods to remore this burr in real industry?

Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back