Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BURST-OUT STRESS, METALLIC PLATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

StressMan2506

Structural
Dec 19, 2004
GB
Fellow stress engineers:

Do any of you know of a method for calculating the stresses induced in the ligament by a fastener loaded such that it is tending to burst out through a straight-edge? I have the means to calculate the RF in the form of allowable load divided by acting load, but that's not what I want this time.

Thanks in anticipation.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, rb1957, but Bruhn & Niu produce the RF I described above. I'm hopiing for a "strength of materials" type approach for estimating stresses in the ligament.

i'm not sure what the difference is ... Bruhn calcs the allowable fastener load due to shear tear-out, to be compared with the applied. indeed the allowable load is "just" Fsu*As, (eqn 3, pg D1.6) where As is defined by the geometry of the hole and the edge.

don't see how this is an RF result ?

if you want the allowable stress is Fsu, and shear stress = P/As ...

Bit late to the party, however, have you solved your problem?

As suggested above by rb1957, I will check the lug strength for statics. Correct me if I am wrong, but strength of material approach will lead to Net section calculation, which do not consider location of the hole.

Are you looking at performing Fatigue analysis with the re-assessed stress? In which case, I would tend to you lug SN for fatigue analysis.

Let us know if you got something else to evaluate stress in ligament (ESDU etc.)

Best Regards,
SAjet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back