Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Busbar Correction factor for Temperature 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja_Newyork

Mechanical
Sep 21, 2021
IN
Am designing a busbar system for my electrical application where the desired current rating is 4000A at 40 Deg amb. Am going with 2 runs of 100X10 CU busbar cross section, as per DIN 43671, the current rating for 2 runs in 2850A, if i multiply with the temperature correction factor for 100 deg is 1.45, then i can able to achieve the 4000A, but the question is do we have restrict the max busbar temperature to 90 deg.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi
Are the busbars in an enclosure or out in the open air?
If the bars are in an enclosure I don’t believe that 2 bars of the section you are considering is sufficient enough for 4000A, I don’t have access to the din standards but I am looking at a book called copper or busbars by the copper development corporation which if you Google “copper for busbars” you can get access free online.
For a 4000A rating you need at least 3 bars according to my reference and yes if the ambient is 40 degrees C then the allowed tempErature rise is 50 degrees C Making a total of 90 degrees C the temperature limit.
Your references Might be different but without mOre information on your busbar arrangement I cannot comment further.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Dear Mr. Ninja_Newyork (Mechanical)(OP)23 Dec 21 05:00
" ... I am designing a busbar system for ... current rating is 4000A at 40 Deg amb. Am going with 2 runs of 100X10 CU busbar cross section, as per DIN 43671, the current rating for 2 runs in 2850A, if i multiply with the temperature correction factor for 100 deg is 1.45, then i can able to achieve the 4000A, but the question is do we have restrict the max busbar temperature to 90 deg".
I do not understand German. Please check.
1. I think? the ratings listed in DIN 43671 is based on "ambient air still" i.e. bars in the (open air) [NOT in any enclosure]. Enclosed would lowered the rating, depending on the enclosure size and the IP rating.
2. Table shows 2//100x10 mm 2850A is with [painted] bars up to 60Hz. For [bare] bars is 2480A.
3. For ambient 40deg.C , bar temp 90deg.C ; factor = 1.33 approx. Factor =1.45 for 40-100degC.
4. If the bar are bare (Not tinned/silver-plated), limit the final temperature to 90degC is preferred. See also IEC 61439 .
5. Personal opinion: 2//100x10 mm would NOT carry 4kA at ambient 40degC. to bar temperature of 90/100degC. in an enclosure/enclosed in the switchboard.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back