Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Butler "Foundation design and construction manual" 1984 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does Butler provide foundation design services? If not, I see this manual as more of a promotional product on their end. You would think they'd want it widely distributed to the engineers of the world.

Another great resource for PEMB foundation design is Foundation and Anchor Design Guide for Metal Building Systems by Alexander Newman.

Pardon my ignorance.....but what is so special about this book? If it's hairpins, Newman's book treats that.

Is there some manufacturer's info in there or something?

JoelTXCive said:
If someone has to break the law for this book to be posted, then so be it. Sometimes there is a higher calling.

In most instances, you would find me championing that opinion. However, having slept on it, I've come to the conclusion that the copyright issue is not my main concern. What is my main concern is that I received the document from a real person who:

1) I loosely consider a friend.

2) Did me a substantial favor in sharing the document with me.

3) Works / worked at Butler.

4) Has, in the past, demonstrated a clear preference for distributing the document piecemeal rather than en mass.

I'll do my best to secure ajh1's consent for the share. But I'll not share without that consent. 'Tis a matter of honor for House KootK I'm afraid. I am a bad, bad man in many ways but everybody has their arbitrary and idiosyncratic limits.

WArose said:
Pardon my ignorance.....but what is so special about this book? If it's hairpins, Newman's book treats that.

You're right, the Butler manual's importance has diminished greatly now that we have Newman. For a long, long time though, the Butler manual seemed to be the only reputable source available for justifying some of the funky foundation design required to keep the PEMB world spinning. Ergo it's historic importance.

On another level, it's a bit like the Newman book is the New Testament. Yeah, it's great and a much more pleasant read. But if you could instead have access to the true word of god herself, would you not want to check that out? I feel the same about a tattered monograph by James Fisher on industrial structures that predated the AISC guides by about 1000 years. If my Jim Fisher and my AISC Design guide were both swept away in a raging flash flood, which would I save first? Sure AF I'd let my Fisher use my AISC for a flotation device. You know, anthropomorphically speaking.

On another level, it's a bit like the Newman book is the New Testament. Yeah, it's great and a much more pleasant read. But if you could instead have access to the true word of god herself, would you not want to check that out? I feel the same about a tattered monograph by James Fisher on industrial structures that predated the AISC guides by about 1000 years. If my Jim Fisher and my AISC Design guide were both swept away in a raging flash flood, which would I save first? Sure AF I'd let my Fisher use my AISC for a flotation device. You know, anthropomorphically speaking.

Fair enough. I just wondered what this book treated as far as foundations go that engineering judgement (and Newman) didn't.

The old stuff is pretty good to read......but a lot of it is a bit dated at this point and would produce a unconservative design. (Starting with some of the old methods for anchors now covered by Appendix D in ACI 318.)

The heart wants what it wants. My first copy came to me via a grainy, three page fax which I still have. And it was precisely the hairpin thing that I was interested in. I was three years in and desperately needing to keep a PEMB foundation moving. At the time, those three pages felt like holy grail of engineering wisdom.

What the heck, I'll show a little leg just to torment all you sad Bulter-Manual-Non-Havers.

c01_teucjp.jpg

As KootK indicated, I've been providing that PDF file to a number of people over the years. However, I retired at the end of 2018 and no longer have a copy on my files. I suggest contacting rkPeck at the usual Butler email address and he should be able to get you a copy. I've alerted him via an email that he may be seeing a request coming through.
The big thing with distributing it and this is noted in the forward is that the proper use of the information is solely the responsibility of the user. Note that the guidelines are based on the normal design practices back when this was published and may not reflect current practices or code requirements.

Ron,

Please let add my thanks for the suggestion above. I will also try to take advantage of the information and contact "ntpe".

The Foundation Design and Construction Manual, 2nd Ed., published by Butler Manufacturing Company dates from about 1984 and was written by Donald R. Buettner, Ph.D., P.E., James M. Fisher, Ph.D., P.E., and Charles E. Manske, M.S., P.E. Some of whom are connected with Computerized structural Design, Inc. with Butler Manufacturing Company's cooperation.

Jim

With regards to posting copyright material on the internet, I compare it to speeding. Yes, technically its illegal, yet even enforcers of the law are guilty.

That's what keeps the internet going, right?.....the anonymity of downloading software, publications, and music for free that you would otherwise have to pay for.

Just keepin' it real.

I had an email from the head of Butler R&D this afternoon. They are no longer going to respond to distribution requests as they are concerned regarding the age of the document and the likelihood that there are provisions in it that are potentially in conflict with current code and design practices. There did not appear to be any particular issue if folks can find the document other places and he mentioned that some university libraries (OK State was mentioned) have PDF versions available.

WARose,

In my copy, 2 Ed.,Page 58 starts with Tension Tie, Figure 7-17 and then starts section 2 Hairpin Rods. Then there is Figure 7-18, titled Spread Tie for Resisting Horizontal Thrusts. (The figure is a Hairpin in my definition).

Jim

WARose,

In my copy, 2 Ed.,Page 58 starts with Tension Tie, Figure 7-17 and then starts section 2 Hairpin Rods. Then there is Figure 7-18, titled Spread Tie for Resisting Horizontal Thrusts. (The figure is a Hairpin in my definition).

Jim

That's it! Hey, I've got a (small, only about 8 pages) copy of this thing and never knew it.

Thank the pope (and bridgebuster of course), this thread has reached its logical conclusion at last. I have no real use for this book but still downloaded it because the suspense made it so desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back