Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Butterfly Valve - Pipe Wear 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiCl4

Chemical
May 1, 2019
CA
We have a 3" butterfly pressure control valve installed on a cooling tower water recirculation loop. This valve is controlled to a pressure setpoint from a pressure transmitter located at the outlet of the cooling tower water pumps (combined header). The cooling tower water loop has a mix of constant users and sporadic users. Normal operation at no sporadic user demand is ~65% open on the valve; however, this valve often operates 0-20% open during heavy user demand to maintain supply header pressure. Some operating data is below:

Valve: Bray Series 30/31, 3"
Pressure setpoint: 60 psig (at CTW pump outlet)
Valve Upstream pressure: 50 psig
Valve Downstream pressure: 10 psig
Cv (20,40,65) = 15, 61, 210
Water temperature: 75 F
Main header: 8", reduces to 3" for the control valve

The 3" schedule 40 carbon steel pipe (ASTM A53, I think?) developed pinhole leaks about 3 months after installation. The valve disc and body itself look fine, but the weld line of the downstream flange and 1-2" of piping beyond the flange were worn extremely thin. Orientation-wise, this is the area where flow is directed by a partially open butterfly valve.

The up/downstream pressure vary slightly based on demand, but dP across the valve is usually 40-45 psi. I don't have equivalent orifice size to get actual flow rates, but at 60% open the valve is flowing ~1,300 gpm. In a 3" open pipe that is ~58 fps. (I don't have data or an equation on equivalent orifice diameter, but a naive assumption of %open = % reduction in equivalent orifice size would put velocity more in the neighborhood of 90 fps through the valve itself. I think we are likely cavitating in the liquid as it accelerates through the valve, and the downstream piping is bearing the brunt of the damage.

I've had maintenance hardface a new spool with 3/16" tungsten carbide in the wear area to be replaced, but I'm also considering putting in an upstream orifice to lessen the dP required by the valve.

Does anyone have any suggestions or caveats for putting an orifice upstream - i.e. minimum pipe diameters needed to full flow re-establishment? Space is tight, so something like 20D isn't available unless I put an orifice in the main 8" before the reducer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

LI,

I agree, that is a more elegant solution. Now, finding the money to do that when the cost is a 2' spool piece every few years...you know how that game goes.

Thank you all for the insight and feedback.

Work out your cost saving on pump power?

Payback maybe in 3 to 5 years?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

From your post, it appears that the actual flow control is acceptable and the problem is the valve cavitation when it operates at openings less than 30%.
It is possible to eliminate the cavitation in the valve, by symmetrically drilling several holes in the valve disc, making it a multi-hole plate.
See my attached paper that explains this design and the results in a water system of a nuclear power plant.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=da8aa61d-7ba3-4dde-b468-a95ed9e75bee&file=Eliminating_cavitation_in_your_piping_systems._HYDROCARBON_PROCESSINIG.pdf
Cost savings at running in the new config is $9-10k/yr, given the existing pump curve (basically dropping from 50 to 30HP for about 50% of a year, with the remaining time requiring a full 50 HP), power costs, and operational demand trends. I haven't priced a control valve that large before, but given other installation costs for other jobs, 3-5 years sounds reasonable. Unfortunately not good enough for approval.

The old fashioned API RP 14E used to permit velocities of up to v = 200 / (rho)^0.5 for corrosion resistant materials in liquids without erosive solids, which amounts to 25-26fps for water in SS316. I dont see why you'd want to go for SiC lining of this reducer spool piece when you could go for a simpler SS316 option. Even a 2205 duplex SS option would be simpler I think.

Casflow,

Nice idea but at times TiCL4 needs no flow to maximise the pressure in the header when all the users are taking water.

Going from say 20% open to full closed as one step is just a bit of fiddling with the control system.

TiCL4 - think of the CO2 saving!

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back