Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ByStar 3015: Burring on Parts during Y-Axis Transition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceLaser

Industrial
Sep 11, 2018
US
Hello there. Back again with strange issues.

I have noticed that aluminum parts (1/8" and 1/4") seem to always develop a burr on any path that uses the Y-axis. As in any curve or angled section has a consistant burr, but any horizontal (X-Axis Only) section will cut clean. I have attached a picture as an example.

This seems to only happen when using the 7.5" head, but we also exclusively use this head for this material thickness. It might be worth mentioning that there has been some play in the mounting brackets for the cutting head. It is a very small amount of movement, but should be considered.

Current Parameters:
1/8"
Feed: 3450
Power CW: 85%
Pressure cw: 12 bar

Looking forward to hearing from you.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c00403e3-20fb-4536-b13d-6e80820be2d5&file=IMG_0017.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Its been happening on and off for a while, but I would say for the last month it has been a consistant issue. The machine has been up and down for the last 6 months (Repairs and workload).

The optics were just serviced two or three months ago. They found a decent amount of water in the beam path and had to replace most mirrors due to water damage. The water leak was believed to be repaired and I am currently dealing with a large water leak in the resonator. Happened days after this was posted :(

I will say that we still have a cat-eye shaped beam even after the service.

lousy beam air will drive you crazy. One shop if they left the fork lift running near the air compressor the laser would stop cutting. the beam was huge at the end of the table, almost as big as the lens. If you have bulk N2, switch to N2 purge. As for the beam quality, it sounds like you have issues there too. It really sounds like someone needs to go through the machine with you and explain how to keep it running consistently.

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

@jj1210: Sorry I didn't put the information in. Its a Bystar 3015 with a BTL 4000 resonator.

@krugtech: I agree with you on the latter. We need someone here that actually knows how to keep one of these running - not just an operator. I would say that our air supply is sketchy at best. The compressor holds 120 gallons, but also supplies air to 3/4" of the shop. Our operator noticed a sputtering sound while it was cutting last week and it was defiantly visible on the cut edge. Irregular burr and the drag lines weren't uniform. Maybe this ties into air quality provided by the compressor?

Thank you for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back