Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ByVention 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeGreiga

Industrial
Dec 4, 2006
US
Well I'm all ears on everyone's opinion of Bytronics newest model.

I bought my shops first laser a 1995 2512-3 BySmall 1500 watt about a year ago. I have loaded that machine to capacity and then some. It runs about 16hrs/day and is a very reliable, clean and well performing machine for being an older smaller machine.

We are a small job shop whose niche is low qty, fast turnaround. Our typical qty order would be less than 100. We cut everything from .005 stainless shim stock to 3/8" plate often in the same day.

Our much larger competitors often send us low volume work, but our core customers are building products which require many design changes and inconsistant volumes. I don't care to get into competing with the BySpeeds and Mazak FMS.

Myself and employees are very comfortable with Bystronic and I'll be going to NY before Christmas to see a demo and offer my terms.

My biggest concern is this being a new model and being one of the first purchasers. Bystronic ran a ten unit pilot program, however there being hesitant to show me any records of it, although I haven't pushed hard yet.

We'll what's the concensous? I'm all ears. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hello

I have seen bystronic website : byvention looks interesting !! But it's limited to 8mm mild steel, is it
adapted with your 3/8"(10mm??) and they speak about minimum 1mm however you may cut really thin sus sheet? What about?

Your "biggest concern" : not only for laser machine purchase, maybe we're all freighten when something is new !!
Plus when it'll rule our future !!

In france some customers ,cutting very small thickness to 12mm in a same day, like you, are using amada's alpha 2 or 4kw (pulsar is name for USA) with a markless system, do you know competitors "or friends" using this kind ??

See you !!
The pooh

I have seen ByVention in action.
Very well built machine and nice controller.
Cons:
Small cutting area 60"X31"
Can only process light gage because of light build table and automatic transfer,
Takes up to much space compared to capacity.

Flexishop, You summed up my opinion of the ByVention once I completed my research. A Mazak 48 takes up less floor space and can handle large mat'l thickness. Not that we are going to by a Mazak. Currently I am looking for a mid 1990's vintage ByStar 2800 watt. Will be converting to a stand alone so the less automation the better. Anyone out there have one for sale?

ByVention is a really good compact and simple Laser to operate. It is the world's smallest laser cutting machine that's capable of cutting a 5'X 10' sheet. It does so by cutting it in segments of 60" X 30" max. and 60" X 10" min. When a segment is done cutting a unloading system goes into effect. Unloading forks come into the cutting area then the table (lifting unit) drops and leaves the parts and skeleton on the forks. The forks then transfer the parts over to the unloading area where the operator removes the parts, in the meantime a suction cup frame brings in the next segment to continue cutting. Programs are loaded using a usb port or through a network. Days of floppy disks are coming to an end. The operator does not need any laser experience whatsoever, training is done in half a day.

Dust collector and Chiller are intergrated into one high performance unit. Footprint is 20' X 20' You can cut .312 HRS, .25 SS and .160 Aluminum. If anybody has any questions feel free to ask.

Hector Barraza
Applications
Bystronic Inc.

barraza213,
Where were you when I was actually considering this machine? Bystronic Sales/ Applications Dept's seemed like they weren't adaquately trained on this machine and it took them over 2 months after FabTech to set up a demo, (which I declined). After I completed my own research on the ByVention I determined it would be most benefitial to purchase another preowned Bystronic. Any folks have a Bystar 2800 watt they want to sell?

Mr. Barraza is a proud new member of our team who brings 12 years of valuable sheet metal experience and hard work.

Do understand that the machine is a brand-new product and it takes time to bring the applications, service and installation group to cross train on the machine.

To add to what Mr. Barraza said earlier, the machine will process standard sheet sizes up to 60x120 of .312 mild steel, 0.25" Stainless, and 0.160" Aluminum in maximum segments of 30"x60 and minimum of 10"x60".

Bystronic is using a lot of proven components already used in the other machines so nobody should feel like a "guinea pig".

Of course, if segment size is an issue, we do have bigger machines in the Bysprint, Bystar, and Byspeed.

Mayron Sandoval
Applications
Bystronic Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back