Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C++ or C with S-Function Builer from Simulink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasomix

Electrical
Jul 14, 2011
ES
Hello everyone,

I went through the documentation for the S-Function Builder from Mathworks, but I do not know if it is possible use c++ with S-Function Builder or just C.

I did some test and I wrote the same code for a C and for a C++ using a S-Function Builer. For the one in C I did not get errors, but for the one in C++ I got linking errors.

In the Mathworks documentation, the S-Function Builder is inside the topic "Writing S-Functions in C", but not inside "Creating C++ S-Functions"; that is why my question.

Any hint or any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you very much for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be able to write it in C or C++.
The older versions of Matlab I believe only worked with C.

Also, you can write one in m-code now I believe. ie. using it to solve some DE's or the like.

[peace]
Fe

There used to be many similar questions in comp.soft-sys.matlab about this. The usual issue was that the poster was trying to use lcc (rubbish free C compiler supplied with Matlab) to compile code that was actually only C in functionality, but contained some trivial C++ constructs.

If all you need is C functionality, stick to C.

- Steve

Hi Fex32 and SomptingGuy,

First of all thank you very much for your answer.

About the S-Builder functions I have decided to use C instead of C++. I was doing some test. I wrote a function with a loop in Visual Studio 2010. I called this function from Simulink, and the same function with a C file I got no errors, but in C++ I got a link error, which I did not understand why. I do not know if it is maybe the Matlab version I use, which is R2010b.

SomptingGuy I am agree with you about llc. It is rubbish. I use VS2010 as a compiler.

Regards, waso

<rant>

I get annoyed at people who think C/C++ is a language. It's two languages, similar, but with striking differences. I get even more annoyed when people slip C++isms into C code and don't even know they're doing it.

</rant>

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back