Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C shaped spring

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRocketScientist

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2009
US
I have a vertical panel which turns about a vertical axis somewhat less than 90 degrees slowly from one position to another. I am envisioning a spring, shaped something like the letter "C", laid horizontally, perpendicular to the panel's vertical axis of rotation.

At each end of the C, a protruding end would angle out at 90 degrees, normal to the plane of the "C" and parallel to the panel's axis of rotation. One protrusion up, one down.

Anchor one protruding end to movable panel, other end to the housing.

The "C" can go around the pivot point, guarding/ concealing the spring most of the time.

Anchors I would like to locate such that with the panel at one position, the spring provides little or no rotational force to the panel, but when panel is at/near the other position, the spring will force the panel towards this position much more enthusiastically. Sort of a snap shut, hang open situation.

I know I have seen this type of spring somewhere before. Vehicle fuel tank door perhaps? That's more of a snap-open, snap-shut design, but I think that careful anchor location selection can attain "hang open, snap shut."

Can anyone point me to any reference material or a favorite web site that can provide pointers such as anchor locations that would do what I want? Similar applications perhaps?

All input appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think not. Are you referring to a device that holds a broom handle to the wall? Perhaps similar. I was thinking more of a wireform [circular cross section] wherein the springiness derives from forcing the ends of the "C" closer together or perhaps further apart. End action not unlike a simple coiled tension spring, but the space occupied seems to be much more favorable if this mechanism can be produced using a "C" spring. Precious little info on such springs appears with a Google search for springs and spring design info. I do have a request in at the Spring Supplier also; no reply yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back