Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

C12L15 vs C1215

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizard7709

Civil/Environmental
Jul 29, 2008
US
What are the differences between C12L14 and C1215. According to my reference material it looks like these two metals perform identically minus the machinability. I was wondering if there were other issues to be concerned about (specifically cold temperature embrittlement). In the past we specified C12L14 metal which has worked fine for our purposes but it seems that this has become an issue due to the lead content. We have started switching our specs to C1215 and I want to find out if there are any potential issues I may need to look out for.

Lisette
Quality Assurance Tech

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Phosphorous content, which effects low temp impact properties, are the same for both steels, so no difference there. The carbon content of 1215 is lower than 12L14, so your yield and tensiles will be a little lower with 1215.

These two grades are almost identical. The only difference other than machinability will be the slightly lower strength, as mentioned by swall. Any differences in distortion after machining will be attributable to process differences (rolling parameters, size before cold drawing, draw die geometry, setup of straightener rolls, etc.) not to the chemical composition.

With so little carbon difference, the strength differences will be determined by the processing, not the chemistry. The machineabiltiy will be the biggest difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back