Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable inside a pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanaticos

Structural
Jun 21, 2012
GB
Hi all,

Im trying to make a model of an electrical cable inside a pipe laying at a seabed. This is modeles using the 'slide line option in abaqus. The pipe is subjected to temperature loading and expands. The cable can not see the same expansion; hence it has to be layed with an overlength inside the pipe. Any suggestions on how to model a pre-bended cable which wil straightens out when the pipe expands? The cable can see small compression, but the strain should not exceed 0.04% strain, so the *no tension/compression option in abaqus is not relevant. The cable has to be checked for compression as well.

What kind of elements are best for modeling of a cable? I have so far used an isotropic material behaviour; I assume that this is more an anisotropic (hypoelastic) behaviour?

All suggestions are appriciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that C3D8H elements would work just fine, also you could adjust mesh controls to Hex, sweep and medial axis sweep Technic or pipe elements could work too.

The pipe and the cable are modelled with beam elements B31H (hybrid formulation). The thing is that you define the E-modulus and the beam section (in this case circular), which than decides your EI (bending) and EA (axial) stiffness. But I want the bending stiffness to be very small. Is there a way to define this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back