Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable Termination & Joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizgar

Electrical
Aug 25, 2003
Hello,
I need information about how jointing and termination of high, medium and low voltage cables.
Is there internet sites or free ebooks explaining the procedure of joining and termination such cables? if there is, please give me the internet addresses.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know of any free document. However, each accessory manufacture will supply instructions with their product. If you contact a manufacturer they will probably send their instructions to you. Even with the instructions, there is no substitute to understanding cable design and stress control theory. Nine out of ten installers/specifiers I interview do not know how to properly install a medium voltage accessory! I highly recommend anyone who is going to specify or install accessories to go through a course on cable preparation and accessory installation. Many accessories manufacturers offer the course and certification for free. Even better yet, I recommend a course on electrical power cable system design.

I also recommend Bill Thue’s book.

Benjamin Lanz
Vice Chair of IEEE 400
Sr. Application Engineer
IMCORP- Power Cable Reliability Consultants

I do not think it´s so easy to learn MV cable jointing and terminationing from the According to my experience the biggest rate of cable faults (excluding the external damage) are caused because of pure workman ship.I recommend a course as well but only the long praxis experience will improve your skills as everywhere.

You are right petamm but the problem such courses are not available in my country and also bank facility is not exit so ican't buy on line books because of that I am tring to get free information from web sites and expert persons if it is possible.

There are lots of vendor reps about. Start with a phone book and look up electrical equipment in the classified section. Sooner or later you'll hook up with some vendor reps ( salesmen, sales engineers ).
Some people look on sales people as pests, spammers etc. They are a very good source of information.
3M, Raychem, Okonite etc will have better information than what you get from IEEE, In fact their people write many of the IEEE papers.
So make friends with your local factory reps, there good for lots of info and maby a free lunch.

If you're in one of the parts of the world where exorbitant telephone rates are a source of Government income, you can probably e-mail the manufacturers for information. You may use one of the online directories in leu of a paper phone book.
yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back