Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable's fatigue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosab2

Industrial
Apr 16, 2010
ES
Dear all,

How can i calculate the fatigue of a cable (a lot of fibres) of composite material?

Is it possible to simulate it by Abaqus?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you know how to do a fatigue analysis? If you do all you need is the stress (or reversal stress)from FEM.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

Dear Twoballcane:

I know how to do the fatigue analysis in metal material using the Goodman diagram, but I don´t know do it in metal material cable.
I don´t know how to do the fatigue analysis in composite material, so please if you know how, can you send me something like a note explianing me how I can do it?

Thank you.

Mosab,

I think what is trying to be said here is that you may approach the problem as if it were metallic. In other words, you would get the loads from the FEM and do a fatigue analysis via classical solution (outside of the FEM). In that sense, what you do in the FEM does not change just because the material did.

Now, on the other hand, if you asking the seemingly more important question of how to do fatigue analysis of a composite, you would not want to ask that in the finite element forum.

Brian

Dear rb1957:

I have the S/N curve, my material is: Kevlar.

to analysis this problem by FEM:
1- I have to simulate the cable as a rod with a lot of wire beside? or just a rod with the Kevlar property?
2- I have to simulate the contact between the wires?

When I have the stress by FEM, I have to estimate the material life as the classical way?

Thank you.

i'd model as a rod, but i think there's a 2ndry effect if the fibers are twisted together ?

contact ? aren't the fiber cured in a matrix of resin ? the resin will shear the load into the fibers, no?

sure, miner's rule is probably as good as any. remember there's probably be a static tension in the cable.

The working life of cable is not driven solely by fatigue, but also by the fretting/scuffing damage due to motion of the strands against one another during flexure and axial cyclic loads, and due to the radial distortions when wound over pulleys.

Dear rb1957,
The cyclic load here is the weight (0 to weight).
But as btrueblood said, there is a fretting damage.
I think that i will simulate 3D rod and i will have the stress by abaqus, after that i will try to calculate the life.

I hope that i can do it.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back