Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cables, Which one??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

baller1

Computer
Mar 10, 2001
GB
I am currently studying the structures of TCP/IP and NT Servers.My current assignment includes various questions about transmission mediums for various applications.

I am still not entirely clear about the pros and cons of two types of cables;

1) Coaxable Cable

2) Shielded Twisted Pair

Regards

Baller1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The coaxial cable is hardly used anymore. A kind of cable with a solid central conductor surrounded by insulator, in turn surrounded by a cylindrical shield woven from fine wires. The shield is usually connected to electrical ground to reduce electrical interference. (descr. taken from FOLDOC-computing disctionary)

There's no Shielded twisted pair cable. however there is the Unshielded twisred pair cable (or UTP). it's made from 4-pairs of wires (8 wires in total). the wires of each pair are twisted together. this is the reason why this cables do not have to be shielded.

these days utp cables are the best choise since they have better characterisics than the coaxial cables.

I hoped i helped

Thank you for the info!!
I thought the shielding from twisting the pairs was enough!! Obviously i was wrong!
thank you again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back