Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cache CATIA v5 application data for faster startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkangel

Aerospace
Oct 20, 2003
US
Is it possible to cache the Catia v5 application data so that when you shut down Catia and start it up again, it loads up faster? I understand some people have been successful at this and that it takes only 10 seconds to load it up the second time. Please not that I am not refering to .cgr files like for DMU Navigator and the Assembly workbench.

If you could also include the necessary steps, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ken...

Tools + Options + Infrastructure + Cache Management and turn on the top option to Work With The Cache System. That should do it.

I was under the impression that Tools + Options + Infrastructure + Cache Management was for the caching of CGRs and not for the actual Catia v5 application. Am I wrong? I am looking for the ability to start Catia quickly after it is shutdown the first time.

Let me know if I have your post backwards.

Sorry... turning on the cache allows CATIA to load the parts faster because it's using the cached CGR data. I'd like to know how to startup CATIA faster too - ours seems to take several minutes.

One way is to avoid creation of CATProduct When You are Starting Catia V5

When you open Catia V5, the software creates by default a new CATProduct and loads the workbench associated to this file. This waste of time and productivity can be avoided by adding this line in Windows User Environment variables:

CATNoStartDocument = yes

More info see CATIA Digital Digest Tips & Tricks18nov2003

I checked the Digest out and there was nothing I could find on caching the v5 program. I used the CATNoStartDocument and a few other goodies as well. Catia now loads up well without the splash window, the background,nodelock messages, or the no product at startup. That's great.

Now, if I were to I close the program right now, without doing anything else or loading anything, it still takes the same amount of time to load it up again. I know that there is some way to have it restart faster because I have witnessed it with my own eyes. I am hoping that someone on this forum can inform me as to how this can be achieved.

Thank you.

Arkangel,

verify that the option Tools + options + Paramaters and measures + Knowledge + Language + load extended language libraries is Off. If this option is on CATIA will load much slower. This option loads all modules into memory when starting V5. Turning this option Off will only load the medules on an as needed basis.

Stefan

Turned off the "load extended language libraries" option but have not seen any significant improvements on restart. Is there anyhing else I can do?

Thanks, Stefan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back