Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CAD and or Drafting standards 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolmantwo

Mechanical
Dec 23, 2003
US
I could use some help to build a standard that suits our company and what we design as a product. If you have a source of a standard that is in use now I would like to review that standard. To define what I consider a standard for drafting I would say it has rules, good practice, and examples of drafting objects including dimensioning. I would expect a standard to be based on ASME's Y14.5 standard (or like standard) and build upon it or expand to include more refinements.

Or maybe you can give me some direction if you do not know of such a standard.

Thanks, John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Every company will have their own way of certian standards. But all should follow ANSI/ASME standards. What I do is have classes every couple weeks to show how some of these standards are used and try to get everyone to follow them.

Follow all the ASMEs to set up your title block, dimensioning styles, and all other 2D drawing standards. That will make sure that all your companies drawings look the same and partially dictate methodologies based on the way your CAD system can meet those standards.

The only refinements from the ASME specs is how to make the computer do more work: what embedded properties go into your files so they can be read through the automated BOM, or title, or part number? How much detail do you really need to model or show on a drawing for certain part classes? File management?

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

Also, there is ASME Y14.41-2003 Digital Product Definition Data Practices. Deals more with model data being embedded in the solid model.

Ray Reynolds
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back