Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAD/CAM Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechineer

Mechanical
Sep 20, 2002
US
What is the best system on the market for programming
5 to 3 axis mills, 5-axis multi-tasking machines and 2-Axis lathes. I need one package to do them all. Is there a CAD/CAM system with these capabilities?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used many of them ranging from Unigraphics, Mastercam, Catia, Smartcam, Pro E etc..... so far
Unigraphics seems to be the best all around package
for NC Programming. Unigraphics also sends you a
postprocessing module with your software, some of the
others you will be required to go to a third party.

Also, with Unigraphics you would get all of the solid and
surface modeling, assemblies, drafting in one bundle, usually the "manufacturing bundle" goes for about $25,000, with maintenance being about $400/month---- with your maintenence you also get excellent phone Technical support that is also not always available with the others.

Hope this helps.

I had a bad experience with a Camsoft CNC control, over sold and poor support. The CAM appears to be over sold also, so my guess the support will suck also.

No body mentioned you thePROE (proengineer) software especialy the new version WILDFIRE which won the technology of the year competition it is an extraordinary package which i bought it in my factory modeling ,surfacing ,sheet metal ,assembly ,mechanism kinamatics and over all 3 to 5 axis milling with simulation option (vericut)included all with 10,000 usd dont miss it

Do you already have a CAD system? If you are using SolidWorks, then for a middle priced CAD system I would suggest you look at Esprit, made by DP Technologies. It is a lot easier to use and learn, and of course cheaper, than the high end systems such as Unigraphics, which uses its own CAD system. On the other hand, by having both systems in one package, you gain easier updating of CAM programs when the design is changed in the CAD side.

I've used Proe for 3 years and now I have in mind to change to delcam's powermill. From my experience proe 2001 is not reliable. I've seen powermill and it has all the capabilities you want. People say is 100% collision free guaranted.

Choosing a CAD/CAM system can be very difficult I have use and purchased many systems and each time I choosed different systems based on features needed, budget interfaces with customer drawings and existing systems in place. NCProgrammer listed great systems but depending on budget it maybe to pricy. I would look at FeatureCam, Virtual Gibbs,Surfcam and Weber Systems Synergy. I would visit there websites to see which ones have the features that you are looking for. The software titles I have given are more CAM than CAD. I currently use Feature CAM and I was able to get up and running with out any formal training. I hope this helps.

I'd rather use the Catia V5 and ProE or at least Mastercam V9.0. They are really awsome about Models convertered. They are linked and communicated each others. Try it you will see.

EdgeCam is a powerful system that is easy to use and reasonably priced. It works directly with a number of system, meaning NO file conversion. it will do solids as well as 2d machining.

Hi all. We're currently looking into purchasing new cnc equipment. We're a truly bespoke furniture design and manufacturers and are very anxious to purchase the right machine that will not limit us for sawing and component drilling. We have small output, and require something that will be able to manufacture to a very high quality. Using Cabinetvision software at the moment to produce our Production Drawings, Cut Lists etc... and possibly looking into a weeke machine. Does anybody have any tips or advice that may help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back