Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAD designer job description 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnrg

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2003
US
Hello Everyone,
My company has extensive job descriptions for engineers, but nothing for designers. I've googled this and haven't come up with anything satisfactory. Our designers make mechanical designs using CAD of machined parts and complex electro-mechanical assemblies. What I am looking for is education/years experience/technical level of responsibility (ie, gets work from an engineer, gives work to draftsman), interface to outside groups such as customers/vendors. I realize this is always subject to lots of interpretation but a place to start would be a big help. One of my people has been arbitrarily changed and I need to build a case as to why that should not have happened. Politics are involved to some degree but it is worth the fight.

Thaks in advacne,
Bob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

bnrg,

The first thing you should do is remove the word CAD from your description, unless you are designing CAD software. CAD is the easiest thing to learn in mechanical design. If your company focuses on that capability, they will likely hire an idiot.

A mechanical designer must have mechanical aptitude, good reasoning and problem solving skills, and good communication skills, so that they understand what you want, and they can explain to you what they are doing.

Any engineering or industrial design training is very desirable. A fundamental understand of drafting standards is very desirable. For anything other than an entry level designer, experience in your industry is very desirable.

Experience in a fabrication shop is desirable. End-user experience in your industry is desirable. Experience with your CAD software is desirable.

How is that?

Critter.gif
JHG

Unlike what SolidWorks Corp might claim, CAD is not as easy as flipping a lightswitch. In fact its the derogatory condemnation of CAD as being simple that causes lots of problems down the road. Broken links, designs that are hard to adjust, etc...

Certified SolidWorks Professional

KevinDeSmet,

It is dead easy to create a model in SolidWorks and attach a drawing to it. It may not be as easy as flipping a light switch, but any idiot can figure it out quickly.

Winding up with a drawing of something that will work, when the instructions on the drawing are followed, is difficult. This requires a whole lot of skills, not just SolidWorks.

Part of the problem with 3D modeling is that there are about a dozen ways to do everything. The best modeling technique allows you to make changes efficiently, and generate and maintain the required engineering, manufacturing, sales and support documentation.

I think SolidWorks is the easiest of the skills I listed above.

Critter.gif
JHG

Leanring CAD is easy. Learning good CAD practices and using them diligently can be more difficult. If you ask for someone with CAD experience you are not seperating the wheat from the chaff.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

We have 3 levels of designers at "my" company. At the end of the day promotions within these levels basically come down to people's ability to work independently. Obviously meetings, project briefs, updates have to happen. The team must be on the same sheet of music but at the same time, the degreed engineer or project leader is not looking for questions multiple times a day.

Our 3 levels all require a high school diploma. Secondary schooling is also required. A person who "only" attended a drafting school (say a 6 month program) would not be hired and for sure would never rise above our beginning level. Schools with a 2-year programs vary as well. One here is half days for two years and includes some math (non-Calc) stress and strain classes, a design project. While another local 2 year school has all day class and includes hydraulics, dynamics, metals, tool and fixture design, hands-on shop time.

While it is not set in stone at our business it is easy to see that a certain school and knowledge could lead to promotions quicker than other "equal" schools. I only mention this because most accredited 4-year colleges for engineers must create very similar programs. 2-year schools have more freedom because the US does not list expectations.

Assuming you use SolidWorks and want a strong user that will not be asking questions frequently you could have different pay levels require certain SW exams to be passed. CSWA for grade 1, CSWP for grade 2, a specific module depending on your business for grade 3. Of course there is a cost there of time and money for the employee and company.

If you use GD&T there are also ASME certifications there. Maybe that is required for Grade 3?

Then obviously time spent on past projects. Where the goals met etc. Did they save money by reducing the number of parts or using an existing part etc. Laying out designs that are easy to assemble and repair. Tough to put a written value on those.

Troy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back