Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAD files other than NX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHG1981

Automotive
Aug 7, 2013
US
Just curious, does anyone else get CAD files they can’t open very much because customers will send Catia, Creo, Inventor, or any other CAD file?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All the time. Pro/E files are the worst.

I often have to request neutral formats, but fortunately our largest customers use NX and CATIA and those are the two CAD softwares we run.

Biggest headache in the cad world.. model exchange!

For drawings, usually always have to request them exported separately preferably as PDF. 3D PMI is only used by some customers and STEP doesn't seem to always capture it all correctly.

Tomeri - look behind the closed doors when it comes to migrating CAD data and maintaining associativity between models and the drawings. Most of these are done with button-pushing low-paid workers in southeast Asia. The complexity of migrating drawings between CAD systems and maintaining the associations is 10 fold greater than just migrating the model or even assembly.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I always have trouble linking a .prt file to open in NX. The NX 10 .exe is set as default, but it never works so I have to open it from NX which is annoying. What do you guys do?

NX 10

@Miyamoto12 -

Can you elaborate? If you have right-clicked on the .prt file, Open with->Choose default program->Selecting your desired version of NX, that should work all the time. If you have two versions of NX (for example I have NX 9 and 10) you need to manually select one or the other, NX can figure it out most of the time but you need to be sure.

What is happening when it doesn't work? Setting the default association is about all you can do in Windows for when you double-click on a file.

Also, you can drag the .prt file onto the blank NX window after NX is open if you want to do that. Be careful not to drag onto an open part window though as that will add the component to the other as an assembly. You need to minimize existing windows within NX to continue to drag n' drop method.

Felix K. Holloway

Your better off with drag and drop anyways. If you click on a new .prt file after NX is already open, it will create a new instance of NX instead of opening the file in the current session. What you want is to open new files in the existing session, in which you are limited to drag and drop or opening and navigating from within NX.

This kind of makes sense, because Windows is actually controlling what happens when you double click a file, not NX, so I don't see any way to work around that short of some crazy hacking of your computer (probably not advised :))

Maybe your computer is set to not open a new session of a program once it is already running, hence NX not opening again nothing happening when you double click another .prt file. That would be my best guess.

Felix K. Holloway

I agree with you about dragging into an already open session. But if I double click a file when no NX session is open, it opens 7.5 (which I dont want to use) instead of 10, even tho I used the correct .exe for the default program. If its not a quick fix, no worries

NX 10

I agree with you about dragging into an already open session. But if I double click a file when no NX session is open, it opens 7.5 (which I dont want to use) instead of 10, even tho I used the correct .exe for the default program. If its not a quick fix, no worries

NX 10

NX 10

NX 10

I know that I did not really hit the right tread, but I was wondering if anybody knows why when I export drawing from NX 7,5 to dwg in 2D exchange some symbols like roughness symbol, circle around annotation,etc. are not converted? But this happen only from Nx to dwg it converts ok from nx to pdf

Many thanks.

Miyamoto.
Re-run the NX install of NX10 . That will fix this problem for you. It's either the registry-something or the local Windows system variables, either way the install cures it.

pnavy.
These symbols, are they custom symbols or images ? Images ( .jpg / .png etc) do not convert to dwg/dxf. Custom symbols does / should convert.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back