Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAD modeling of composite structure with FEA "friendliness" in mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdrianSonelly

Materials
Mar 14, 2005
RU
Hi,
I'm new to FEA so I'd like to ask for advice. When modeling a composite structure in CAD (SolidWorks but I'm sure that idea is same for all major CAD systems) what is the best approach to do it with FEA friendliness in mind
It will be an assembly consisting carbon/epoxy/honeycomb core monococue with alu bulkheads and potted hardpoints. Tubular subframes and various brackets bolted to composite structure. Monocoque may have non uniform lay-up i.e. additional ply's or C/F tape in critical areas, lap joints etc.

Thank you very much for your help.

Adrian

PS: I understand that it may depend on FEA software requirements. In fact I didn't settle on what exactly will be used. I'll have to decide on best combination of pre/postprocessor + solver but this is a subject for separate topic.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I recommend using shell elements (not solids). If you can represent the outer mold line with surfaces you should be able to mesh it and offset the laminate to the correct position. I recommend you use Nastran for this because it is the best application for structures like this and allows offseting laminates using various methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back