Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAD mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

drodrig

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2013
DE
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about getting the 3D Connexion CAD mouse

it is a bit expensive, but they claim it is the best mouse for CAD, designed for this purpose, blah, blah.

I had a Logitech Perfomance mouse MX and I was not happy with it at all. The wheel -middle click- was not working well, it was always moving a little bit before the click, making it very annoying. Specially in Catia to make parts rotate.

In the CAD mouse case there is a dedicated middle button, it seems convenient, but is a bit difficult to tell without trying it out.

Does anyone have any experience with this mouse in Catia? or in general?

Maybe any other recommendation for a mouse and Catia?

Cheers,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To be honest, I've used a regular three-button mouse (kind of like you would see back in the late 90s) and it works like a charm for CATIA. Generally there are bigger problems on your mind usually than your mouse but then again, it's just a mouse. And it's just a hundred bucks. If it bothers you then by all means get the "CAD mouse" I haven't tried it but I'm sure it depends per person whether you like it--or not.

I've heard about people using old 3 buttons mice in catia. But I find the wheel useful to move the tree up and down

cheers,

I use a Logitech Performance MX mouse. I also use a 3DConnexion SpaceMouse Pro because it works so much better for me manipulating the model (pan, zoom, rotate). I highly recommend giving it a try. Once you do try flipping the axis if it just feels wrong.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Rob Stupplebeen
OptimalDevice.com
My Personal WP

Oh look, it has a wire attached to it......wow, now that's the ULTIMATE in design [dazed]

Great job, 3D(wired)connexion....!

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing of your glass looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

The 3D mouse I have, so I would like to combine it with a nice mouse

About the wire... yes, it is not wireless, this might be a bit annoying

@drodrig
I've used a two button mouse with center scroll wheel for years in CATIA. The SpaceMouse by 3Dconnexion is handy for demos and people who just want to investigate the 3D model since you move the controller cap as if it were the actual part itself in your hand. Keep in mind that anyone else using your workstation won't be accustomed to it though.

Regards,
Drew Mumaw

Hi,

@drodrig,
Have you replaced your mouse yet? If so what did you end up with? If not, this is what I am thinking:

I'm also in the market for a new mouse. I've gone through a couple this year because the company refuses to buy decent mice. So either I use the mini hand-cramping wireless ones or root through the bin of super old (10+ years) mice.

Personally I don't mind a wired mouse. It could be that I've just had bad luck with wireless mice, but they all had terrible battery life or inconsistent movement and response.

I'm looking for just an ambidextrous, full-size, 2 button + scroll wheel button mouse.
Extra buttons are fine.

I'm considering this gaming mouse from Newegg. I figure gaming mice are built for abuse so it should last.

This one also got good reviews and it is a full-size, wired, 2 button + scroll wheel button.

Performance MX I don't like, the wheel doesn't work so good when clicking, 3D mouse I have already.

Yes... the wire might be annoying...

Tarthrin, I didn't buy anything yet. Right now I have a logitech wireless m510, it is fine, but I wanted to try a real profesional CAD mouse, but the point is I don't know if they are really worth. That's why I asked.

The two options you give look nice, the microsoft maybe too basic, I like more buttons on it (for the internet browser). The gaming ones aparently are good mouses, I don't know for CAD. In the end one needs to try them to see how it feels, or at least have an opinion from someone who has one.

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back