Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAD programs and SmarTeam 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikingcadjocky

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2007
US
We are currently using SmarTeam and are looking for a CAD software upgrade from Pro-E 2001. We have just been given the sales pitch for Catia V5 and SW professional 2007. Everyone was impressed with SW but never got a clear cut answer about the functionality and integration with Smarteam. Does anyone have any thoughts about how SW and ST work with each other?

Thanks,

Greg
Dell precision p4 3.6GHz
2 GB ram
Nvidia quadro fx 3450

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ST is fully integrated with SW. Functionality is pretty good (opinions will of course vary). ST has worked with SW since around '97 and that's be the length of time we've been using it. There are a lot of modules/add-ons for ST, workflow, FDA, BOM, ERP integrations, etc. You probably already knew that of course. We have found over time to do things a certain way because of early limitations. I'm sure that those have been address. It's difficult to explain it here, but whatever functionality you required will most likely be there. And if it isn't it can be customized by your ST VAR/consultants. What you could do is have your VAR/consultants give you a demo of ST with SW. As you've already seen a canned demo of SW doesn't help answer you question.

There is a newer piece of integration for Pro/E users called SPI (SolidWorks - Pro/E Integration):
You may already be using this but just as an F.Y.I. I'm not entirely sure of your need to move from Pro but you do have some path to upgrade using your current CAD software.

I'd be happy to talk to you offline if you wish, just let me know.

Kevin Carpenter
CAD Systems Administrator
Invacare Corp.

As much as I love SW, I wouldn't consider it an "upgrade" from Pro/E. What new capabilities are you hoping for?

I've worked with SmarTeam + SW and it worked fine.

Thanks Kcarpenter and TheTick. After seeing both packages anything we get will be better than pro-e 2001. We do about 90% sheetmetal work, so that is what we need to function well. We currently use SPI and it has been a nightmare for us (another reason we are upgrading software). Also one of our departments has a lot of nested family/design tables.

Thanks again,

Greg
Dell precision p4 3.6GHz
2 GB ram
Nvidia quadro fx 3450

SmarTeam is good, but usually lags in updates behind SolidWorks. Before you install SW 2008, make sure SmarTeam can work with it. You may have to wait.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 3.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 04-21-07)

I'm with TheTick on that one. As a user of both Pro/E 2001 and SWx 2007.....their are features that Pro/E has that SWx doesn't have....variable section sweep!

What I would do is set up a workstation with a SWx and ST. Do some testing and really see if SWx meets all your needs as a MCAD program. The VAR should be able to get you an eval copy of SWx if they want to make the sale.

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 3.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

one more thing, I have done sheet metal in Pro/E 2001 and SWx 2007 by far is better in sheet metal. I have not upgraded to WF3 for a reason....it's a hacked copy of SWx

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

Yes, it's called a boundry blend. Pro/e's advanced surfacing module is powerful but I do not use surfaces much in my designs. But I do use variable section sweeps....using the graph function.

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

This is intresting. The "Sales Pitch" we were given was that SW has the same surfacing engine that Catia had. I was under the impression that Catia was the best in surfacing.

Greg
Dell precision p4 3.6GHz
2 GB ram
Nvidia quadro fx 3450

Your best bet with SW is PDMworks. PDMworks upgrades when SW upgrades. Like ctopher mentions above ST lags behind almost 1 full version. By the time they get ST updated SW is moving on to the next major version. I would see how PDMworks would work with you Pro-E files. As far as I know it does, but I could be wrong on that.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back