Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAE tools for NVH

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvhcae

Automotive
Oct 1, 2014
US
Hello everyone. I work as a NVH test engineer who wants to improve CAE skills. Most job requirements I find, ask for experience in Nastran. Since I am not completely aware how CAE can be used for NVH analyses, I do not know where to start. I've heard Hypermesh has good meshing capabilities, and that hypermesh's meshed model is further solved in Nastran. I have a few questions -

1.I believe Hypermesh has it's own solvers, then why is experience in Nastran preferred?

2.Also between Nastran and Hypermesh, what would be better suited for Non-linear analysis, acoustic analysis and structural analysis - or would there be another software to consider?

3. Would you recommend learning Nastran directly or first be well versed with Hypermesh?

I would be largely grateful for any suggestions on either of these questions. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To be honest I don't agree that an NVH engineer needs to know any of that stuff, that's what mesh monkeys aka node pushers are for. However you want to go down that path so...

The choice of solver is relatively unimportant whilst you are learning, so long as the solver supports the element types etc that you need.

1, Because ultimately you'll be using Nastran as a solver, it is faster, more robust, and probably cheaper for a big organisation.

2.There are many FEA solvers, RADIOSS vs Nastran vs ABAQUS vs ALGOR vs any other alphabet soup is again fairly transparent to the user at first, and for linear problems with small models (NVH is linear, and the models are small compared with durability ones) I have a hard time believing that the differences are deal breakers

3, Hypermesh is a mesher, and pre and post processor, not a solver. It directly talks to an Altair solver, but it almost as directly talks to anything else. So you need to know Hypermesh (or some other equivalent program(s)) first.

Best thing to do is to fire up HM and start the tutorials, then come back and ask more questions, probably in the Altair forum.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back