Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAE-Using nodes/points on surface for features

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninguno

Bioengineer
Nov 6, 2003
US
In my vertebral model, I would like to apply different loading configurations to the top surface, which is complex and consisting of several rectangular patches.

My current approach is to use a centered reference point above the top surface, and attach it to various points along the top using beam connectors (I think that's the connector that I want, one that will transmit moments and loads directly to the surface?).

By default I can only use my reference point, and the vertices of the patches. That's rather limiting, is there a way to use nodes, or draw more points on the complex surfaces that I can use to attach beams to?

A rough sketch (i'd like to use point x, rather than the points o)

o------o--------o
| | |
| x | |
| | |
| | |
o------o--------o

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, use coupling rather than beams. You could easily overconstrain the model with beams. If the beams are rigid, or nearly so, then everything that is touched by a beam will be stiffened by it. With distributed coupling you can transmit a load into a structure without overconstraining it.

If you're using /CAE then go into the interaction module and select the coupling constraint. Then, select the surface that you want to apply the load through, then pick an assembly reference node in space. Now, all of your loads and moments may be applied through this node and will be transmitted to your surface without overconstraining it.

Good luck and best regards,
KF9RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back