Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CAESAR II PROBLEM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIPING_DESIGNER

Mechanical
Feb 16, 2021
TN
I am new in this field.
I want to know how to model a clamp in CAESAR II
Should we consider the clamp as a GUID or ANCHOR

clamp_ggkzni.jpg

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks like an anchor to me, but one which has limited strength.

Hence the loads on it need to be looked at carefully as either the pipe could move axially once it overcomes friction of the clamp or worse bend and impose bending moment on the pipe or simply break off.

I'll be honest and say I don't like weak clamps like this, but if that's what you're given to model, just make sure the forces on the clamp are relayed back to the piping support designer. If this doesn't have a lot of weight or thermal load then it might be fine.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I would model it as a guide on the lateral and vertical directions with friction and no gaps.

You could maybe call it an anchor and drop the stiffness significantly to reflect its weak connection.

I'd suggest making the half clamps so that they can't possibly clamp the pipe, and would actually have a 1/4" gap all around, use some type of sleeve then call it a guide. It's very poor anchor. On the other hand, some scale would help - are these 1/2" thinwall conduits carrying electrical cable or 4" pipes carrying acid?

IMO they are obviously not anchors. You can't anchor with a popsicle stick connected to a support.
So no need to make them stronger and try to turn them into something they are not..

But they are not really "guides" with only friction effects (static and moving) either.

U bolt clamps are another similar thing which is neither a guide or an anchor unless you realy work at providing a minimum clearance and then some supervisor comes along and tells the worker to tighten them all up!

Clamps can clamp pretty tight when they want to...

What other than an anchor or line stop is a "guide... with friction and no gaps...??"

If you call them anchors and there is a lot of forces or movements then the forces on the support will be such that the piping support person will see they are useless.

Model them as guides but then in practice they are tightened up really hard and become anchors and your stress analysis just goes out the window.

but then it these are PE tubes carrying wires then who cares?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

IMO, they aren't really anchors unless you need to use a pipe anchor flange and embed that in concrete or weld it to a lot of welded steel plate. Anything less usually just bends the attachment bar to the support and the pipe moves wherever it needs to be... i.e. anchor cancelled.

As others have said, as pictured they do not look strong enough to be anchors, nor is it possible to determine from the picture if the structures they are attached to are strong enough. In addition, they don't look like a good example of guides.

To answer your original question, my suggestion is to model them as guides and then re-design them so they will perform as guides. If the resulting piping network and supports need help, try modeling them as anchors. If that helps you must then design them as anchors and then examine the supporting structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back