Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculate Solubility of Hydrogen in Benzene using ASPEN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

akho151

Chemical
Jan 18, 2009
US
Hi

I am required to calculate the solubility of hydrogen in benzene. Could anyone tell me how I could do this using ASPEN? I have only a very basic knowledge of the software.

Thanks in advance.

Akho

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't help with Aspen but you can get the K value for H2 in benzene at various temperatures and pressures from charts in a 1961 paper by Hadden and Grayson. The reference is Hydrocarbon Processing & Petroleum Refiner, Sept. 1961, Vol. 40, No. 9 . You will see H2 in benzene in the top right corner of the first chart.

HAZOP at

Akho, I have not use Aspen a lot, but all simulation programs are similar.

In essence you need to do a flash calculation, and the typical steps are:

- Select your components (H2+Benzene)
- Select the thermodynamic method (SRK or PR with interaction coef is probably okay).
- Add a stream or feed to the flowsheet.
- Add the composition and flow rate for the stream.
- Specify two of the following: Temp, Pres, Enthalpy, Entropy, Liquid fraction.
- Run the simulation and look how much H2 is in the liquid phase.

I have been using the process simulators (Aspen Plus, Pro-II, HYSYS) for a long time, and I would like to give some comments from my experiences.

First, I think CJKruger gave a pretty clear and accurate guide hot to get the result from Aspen.

Here are my comments:
- H2 / Benzene compositon or ratio: You may have to adjust it until you have results with two phase - V & L.
- Is you liquid is 100% Benzene? If other compound exist, it can have significant effect to H2 solubility.
- I don't think you can fully trust the solubility calculation result from Simulator. Please try different Thermodynamic methods in addition to PR, SRK, and compare the results. Also please try to get some literature data if at all possible that youi can use againt to verify the simulation result.

Thanks a lot, guys!!! It was really helpful... However, I also need to calculate Henry's constant using ASPEN and it gives me back Aij, Bij, Cij, Dij which can be used to calculate temperature dependency of Henry's constant. But can anyone tell me what is the formula to get H from the four parameters?

You might want to compare results with the Grayson-Streed and Chao-Seder thermo packages against the EOS packages that have been suggested, especially if you're dealing with pseudocomponents and not just a binary H2/benzene mixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back