Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculate the dew point of natural gas if I know the composition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladyCR

Petroleum
Apr 14, 2003
US
I am looking into adding more gas volume to our current scrubber, but we don't measure the dew point of our gas, only the composition. Does anyone know a quick method of calculating the dew point of natural gas if I know the composition or a program that will calculate it for me? (This is a one time thing, would rather not buy a program.)

Thanks in advance!
:)ladyCR

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, you need to have the vapor/liquid K factors which are listed in a lot of sources, the GPSA Engineering data books being one.

Since you have a gas composition, you have the vapor mol fractions for each component. To calculate the dew point, you guess a temperature and look up the K factor for each component. Use that K factor (K = y/x) to calculate the liquid mol fraction for each component given its vapor mol fraction.

Then add up all the liquid mol fractions. If the sum is equal to 1.0, you made a great guess for the dewpoint temperature and are finished.

If the sum of the x for all the components is less than 1.0, you need to try a lower temperature.

If the sum is greater than 1.0, you need to try a higher temperature. You continue until your sum of the x = 1.0 OR you sufficiently bracket your answer for what you need.

I've seen a graph determining the dew point of natgas as function of pressure and water content. The ref. was Fredenslund et al. AIChE Journal, 21, 1086, 1975.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back