Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Calculating 3 winding impedances to put into SKM model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slarty

Electrical
Jun 20, 2023
US
So I am getting confused and feel like different sites/documents are saying different things here. I've got a 3-winding transformer and I've calculated my %R and %X, and therefore %Z values for each winding. However, in SKM you must input these values using the impedances from pri-sec, pri-ter, and sec-ter. I know that to get, say, %R(pri-sec) I should just be able to add my %Rpri and %Rsec together, except they are on different MVA bases because my primary winding has a higher MVA than my secondary and tertiary. So in order to refer all of the impedances to the primary base before I add them, what is the formula?? I know there is a difference between formulas for %Z and Zp.u., and I have %Z. Is it %Znew = %Zold * (Snew / Sold)? Or is it %Znew = %Zold * (Sold / Snew)? Or even %Znew = %Zold * (Snew / Sold) * (Vold / Vnew)^2. Because I have seen all three formulas being used for this same situation online and in books... any advice??

Thanks,
Slarty

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It helps, but when they refer impedances to another base, they are not doing so across voltages so I don't know if I should be factoring voltages in or not since I am referring across voltages

1) How you calculated % R and %X for each winding? Usually, these are derived from measured values between a pair of windings eg HV-LV1, HV-LV2 and LV1-LV2.

2) % Z varies in proportion to the base MVA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back