Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating hoop stress in threaded fasteners

Status
Not open for further replies.

debun

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2008
US
Does anyone know of a way to calculate the hoop stress generated by torquing fasteners? I am working on a design where OD of my fastener is critical and I would like to make it as small as possible but I don’t have a good feel for what the hoop stresses will be like.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

agree, debun...no hoop stress in a bolt. Shank thickness is a function of the interaction between shear and tension, usually designed for one or the other and then a unity check on the interaction is done.

Torque on a bolt produces tension in the shaft and shear on the threads.

so is loafer09, if you read his post properly, he wasn't referring to single or double shear but torsion in the shank.

However this will never be limiting unless it is a custom bolt designed to fail before the threads.

There is a hoop stress unless it is a square thread. Otherwise the the normal force of thread on thread has both vertical and horizontal components, during and after torquing.

Michael.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

I believe the hoop stress would be:
(F*tan(thread angle/2))/(l*(D-d))
where F = fastener load, l = length of internal threaded nut, D = outside diameter of the nut or distance across flats, d = thread pitch diameter.

l*(D-d) is the hoop stress area.

F*tan(thread angle/2) is the radial force at the pitch diameter.

Derived from the geometry of the thread to determine radial force component on the thread causing the nut to dilate.

Ted

True, that would be worst case, fully lubricated threads and nut face. Accounting for friction will reduce the radial force. For a thread form angle of 60deg, thread friction and nut face friction both equal to 0.15, the reduced radial force would be L*(.5774 - .15 - .15) = L*.2744. Without friction the radial force would be L*.5774.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back