Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating maximum force of a flypress

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbob83

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2003
GB
I have a very old Norton 6DB flypress, and I've been trying everything to workout the maximum force it can exert. If anyone knows to calculate this it would be greatly appreciated.
I have found the mass moment of inertia of the flywheel and also the angular velocity it rotates with but can not find away of using this to determine the force it can produce.
Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello there,
I am sretas and I am comming from Serbia. If you tell me the meening of word flypres mybe I dont understand. But if is the meenning of word flypress hammer mybe I can help you. If you have moment of inertia of your flyweel and you have angullar acsesoris I think you can do next step:
M=I*a
were M= moment of force,
I= moment of inertia
a= angular acsesories
from that point you can calculate force if you have a distant from axis
M=F*r
Best regards sory if I dont understan tou. If you have some pictures of this please send me for beter understanding

Yes, it is a flypress hammer, cheers for your help. In the end I managed to find the force using the kinetic energy of the flywheel, but your method would work too.
thanks. :)
jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back