Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating NPSH 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Take the absolute pressure of the fluid (NOT gauge) and subtract it's vapor pressure. Multiply by 2.31 and divide by the specific gravity. That is the NPSH in feet of water that you have available.

Now, this is the NPSH at the point of measurement. If you have a run of pipe going into the pump then you need to subtract the friction loss in that pipe from your pressure gauge to the pump suction.

Technically, you are supposed to correct the pressure gauge to the centerline of the pipe and add in the velocity head term. However, friction loss is an inexact science and you cannot expect to get accurate values (unless you are in laminar flow) to within an inch or two so trying to increase your accuracy with a small pipe and including the few inches of velocity head (since good piping practice states to keep the fluid velocity low) is not worth the trouble. Now, if you have a 6' pipe, then go ahead and correct gauge pressure to the centerline of the pipe.

In other words, USE COMMON SENSE.

I always get a laugh at seeing specs written by "engineers" that require "15643.21 gpm @ 89.012 ft TDH with 38.922 ft TDH." I would have thought that the P.E. process would weed out such "talent."

Tim

Thanks for the info. I know I'm probably thick but what is the difference between gauge and absolute pressure and whats the vapour pressure of water?

Thanks again

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured ABOVE atmospheric pressure.

Absolute pressure is the total pressure (gauge + atmospheric.)

Atmospheric pressure at sea level is about 14.7 psia.

Vapor pressure of any liquid is a function of temperature.

Vapor pressure of water is 0.122 psia at 40°F, 0.507psia @ 80, 4.739@160, etc.

Check any general engineering reference for STEAM TABLES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back