Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Calculating pressure after steam is condensed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterJAM

Mechanical
Sep 21, 2024
CA
Hello, In a shell and tube where the steam is in the tubes how do you calculate the pressure of the condensate [fully condensed saturated steam]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
It should the pressure of the saturated steam entering the HX minus the head loss in the HX and minus the head loss from the discharge of the HX to the sampling point of condensate.
My 2 cents
Pierre

Agree with Pierre. Why would it be any different to the steam pressure?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Sorry, didn't get what OP was asking the first time around.

Provided there's ample cross sectional area in the tubes, I'd agree with LittleInch; why would there be very much pressure differential at all between the steam admission box and the condensate collection box?

And why steam in the tubes? Is this a vertical unit?

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Thank you for your replies. I have spent much of this summer in hospital and find it hard to concentrate, rationalize or think logically very well. Plus the ago old problem of passing 74 this year must have something to do with it. I should stick with playing with our Grandson and finally retiring.

Now that I have been inspired by all your comments I believe it goes something like this.
Depending on the length of tube required to fully condense the steam, the now condensate [liquid] flows through the balance of the tube which is where the pressure loss occurs.
Even with tubes of different lengths it will average out at the exit location. Yes it is a vertical design with helically coiled 8mm tubes.
Thanks again. Regards Peter

The vapor pressure of the condensate leaving the coil will depend on the extent of liquid subcooling inside the coil. How is temperature control enabled in this unit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back