Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating Strength 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OffRoad10

Materials
Mar 7, 2007
US
What equation or theory would I use to calculate the yield strength and/or tensile strength of a material at an elevated temperature? Given: Yield strength at room temp; grade/chemistry; and desired elevated temperature.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OffRoad10;
You don't calculate, you either look up this mechanical property information from known sources or you perform standard tests on your won to determine the values.

I can not test due to the volume of grades, gauges, and production practices I need information for. You see; I'm on the hot side of metals.

OffRoad10,
Tensile or yield strenght values are material properties, they are detemined by test (not by calculations). In general they are available in the material standard (European materials), for American materials most of these values can be found in ASTM standards or ASME II tables.
Which material are you talking about... maybe we can say where to find these values for that material. What do you want to calculate?

Ultimatley, I would like to calculated torsion forces viewed by the mandrel on a down coiler. My boss is convinced that material properties effect the forces seen at the madrel. More robust material equates to more torque.

The grades envolved are everything from plain carbon steels, Mn steels, HSLA's, Boron treated, medium carbon, and high carbon. I'm putting together a capabilities chart for our entire product range. But mechanical properties for these steels at the coiling temperature is most relevant since we coil at the coiling temperature and not at room temperature.

I'm starting to think the torque at the mandrel has nothing to do with the material properties at all. It is a statics problem with the torque resulting from the tension in the material placed there by the different rotational speeds from F7 and the coiler mandrel.

OffRoad10,

The mechanical properties at coiling temperatures (550-750C, 1020-1380F) are going to be quite low: the stress-to-rupture (essentially tensile strength) will be less than 50 MPa for most ferritic steels, so the yield stress will be even lower than that. Fig. 2.3.1.1.1 in MIL-HDBK-5J shows a graph of strength vs. temperature for low alloy steels up to 1200F, where the value is 23% of the room temperature value. You can obtain MIL-HDBK-5J from the following website:

How about the ASM 'High Temperature Property Data: Ferrous Alloys' ed Rothman.

M2 at 1000F 248ksi yld, 55 Rc
on another table it shows hot hardness, Rc.
1000F 51
1200F 34

The data mostly comes from 'Steel Product Manual, "High Temperature High Strength Alloys", AISI, 1963'.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

mewhg,

As EdStainless illustrated the answer to your question is no. Highly alloyed grades such as tool steels, precipitation hardening steels, etc. would be stronger/harder than typical ferritic grades. High carbon concentrations and stable carbides will promote higher strength at elevated temperatures.

but, just like with any ferritic material the hardness will drop quickly when the carbides begin to dissolve. Even after this drop though the metal will be stronger than a plain steel because the carbon and heavy elements (W and Mo) will provide some solution strengthening.
I would think that hot rolling would follow similar rules to forging and that you wouldn't want to finish at temps below about 1700F.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back