Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Calculating welding volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Calculate volume of the weld joint using the pipe circumference. You obtain cubic inches, and use the density of steel to calculate weight. You should be able to do the rest.

I do know that. But as you can see I'm an elictrical guy. so I wondered if somebody had a kind af excel sheet where I just could fill in the pipesize and wallthicknes and weldshape (V-shape, X-shape or something else) and it would give me the material volume. But if not I have to dive into the "Poly technisch zakboekje" (Poly technical handbook) and try to create this myself. But then I'm not sure I did the right thing.

Leendert;
All it takes is a little trigonometry and simple algebra. It would take 20 minutes to set this up. Why do you need to know the volume of weld metal?

If you're calculating material usage, be cognizant of the fact that the various processes have radically different efficiency factors, e.g. - 1 pound of SMAW electrode will not yield one pound of weld metal.

unclesyd -

I don't know who O. Bridgette is, but the book you refer to is written by Omer Blodgett.

Adm Vakiener, P.E.

Adam Vakiener, P.E.

It is Omar Blodgett,s "Design of Weldments", sorry for the typo.

The book is $15.00 and well worth it.

PS: The book was $3.00 when I bought my first copy.

The book is $15.00 and well worth it.

PS: The book was $3.00 when I bought my first copy.

At that price, was it still in hieroglyphics with hand-carved block engraving, or had Gutenburg finished the second edition yet? 8<)

A little upfront warning there is no standard speed/volume of weld metal deposited by any one welder. There are too many variables. You can only accomplish this if the welding is automatic. I have a friend who owns a ship yard and he has tried several approaches to quantify weld product per welder. After he announced he had determined each welds speed the welders went right out and turn his numbers around. The faster welders got slower and slower got faster.
He tried another scheme to measure productivity by having each welder puts his stubs in bucket to weigh against the amount issued. His intent was to prorate the pay depending on the amount of weld deposited. He used this system for about 6 months until his accountant show him that welding costs were appreciably high. The welders were burning the electrodes right up to the holder and burning the holders up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back