Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Calculation for emission from CI engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmiell

Electrical
Apr 3, 2006
US
I have need for the calculation for determining emissions from a CI diesel generator based on gallons of fuel used. I know how to utilize EPA data in our Title V operating permit for required reports, but my question is more basic than that.

Specific: Enterprise engine, 7131 hp, 5125 kw, 16v, mfg 1971
How does one go about determining amount of CO without knowing how many gallons of fuel it takes to generate 1kw?

My thought is this. 1 hour of running at total output would equal 5125kwh, right? Then 5125 X 8760 would equal total yearly kwh (44,895,000). If I could find out how many gallons of diesel it took to generate this total yearly kwh, I could then calculate the amount of CO created using the EPA emission factor, which is directly from my permit.

The unknown here is the kwh per gallon for this engine. I can use historical data from the last 10 years to determine it, but we have gotten to a point where we do not run unless the grid goes down, since we have an all-power purchase agreement with our power supplier. When we were running this engine, we generated a high yearly amount of 489,000, with a low of 1,200 kwh. 2 years out of the last 10 we did not generate any kwh.

Any ideas on method to determine the kwh per gallon for an engine of this vintage? I also have 4 older engines which I will need to do this for, but since this Enterprise engine is the largest, I can use it as my worst case for a single engine emission calculation.

The main reason for wanting this is to determine if this engine and power plant meets the RICE/NESHAP rule for a Major source. This is bascially my 1st step in determining required actions according to the RICE/NESHAP rules which will go into effect in 2013.

Feel free to email me directly if you want to, or reply to this post.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think this would be hard to estimate without proper tools. You might have 1000 ppm or you might have 20000 ppm CO. 10000 ppm is only one percent by volume. If you bought (or rented) a CO analyzer, such as a testo 333 unit, you could read the CO ppm and %O2 based on various load conditions. If you had a means of calculating fuel input, you could use the %O2 to calculate the total flue gas. From there you could get lbs/hour of CO.

I think a Testo runs about $3000. But a testo is more for boiler emissions than for diesel output. You might be able to find a less expensive combustion analyzer intended for diesel motors.

My rule of thumb is 13 KWH per gallon of fuel. Some newer engines do better.
Check a few manufacturers web sites for SG and current figures.
If you use a figure of 13 KWHr per gallon you will probably be close and a little on the conservative side. You may want to adjust for the specific gravity of your fuel but I suspect that the adjustments will cancel and you will end up with the same figure for CO[sup]2[/sup] emissions.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back