Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculation For Intake runner length? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvychvy81

Automotive
May 6, 2006
Hello all,

I'm currently working on an Individual Throttle body intake for my Car. I was wondering what to use to calculate the optimum runner length for the intake, before the throttle bodies. Better if there was a way to choose which Rpm the power would be coming on full. If anyone has any advice let me know... Thanks in advance, Stephen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 80 to 90 deg is to do with valve timing starting the process and where the piston os when the reflected pulse arrives. You want it to arrive as the inlet flow is falling off, but the valve is still open, so you get that extra shoy of air before the valve closes.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The 80/90* depends on cam timings, and is used on engines at higher rpms. As the inertia of the shorter gas column can move faster..
The sonic wave starts at the inlet valve opening, travels to the end of the track, to reflect back as a positive wave, meets the piston 80/90* down the stroke. The closed pipe, reflects the positive wave back to the open end of the tract, a reversal takes place to reflect a negative wave back into the cylinder as the piston is slowing at BDC. The negative wave is reflected back from the piston, through the cylinder dropping the pressure to increase filling. The wave finally reflects back from the open end of the tract as a positive pressure, to increase the external pressure on the inlet gas to assist filling and prevent charge reversal.

Harvey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back